How to make a claim when you’ve been injured in a public place

Have you ever walked through a public place and noticed a safety hazard? Risks are more common than you think. And often, injuries happen when you least expect it, so it’s always helpful to know your rights and entitlements. 

Often, when people are injured in public, they assume that they are liable for not being aware of the dangers, when in fact, public spaces are the responsibility of the local council. Public liability also covers a wide range of cases where a duty of care has been breached. 

What is public space?

Public space is any property not owned by private individuals or companies. They are spaces usually owned by the government or local council. 

They include:

  • Public parks
  • Public schools
  • Footpaths
  • Playgrounds
  • Ovals and sporting fields

Public liability injuries are commonly caused by:

  • Slips, trips or falls on public or private property
  • Unsafe areas and premises
  • Dog attacks
  • Sexual assault or abuse
  • Aviation incidents
  • Faulty or flawed products
  • Sports and fitness injuries
  • Food poisoning 

Public liability covers a wide range of areas you can make a claim for. That’s why you should work with an expert litigation lawyer who can set up your claim for success. 

Often, people are injured in public places because of faulty equipment or due to the negligence of repairs and maintenance responsibilities. Another common way people tend to get injured in public are from slips, trips or falls due to slippery surfaces, or being struck by unsecured materials. This is where you need a public liability lawyer to gather evidence and get you the maximum compensation for your pain, suffering and wages as a result of your injury. Public spaces owned by councils are covered under insurance, so when you make a claim against them, you are really making a claim against their insurance company. 

Note: There are strict time limits that apply to public liability claims, so it’s wise to report the incident and speak with an experienced compensation law expert at your earliest convenience. They’ll inform you exactly of how to proceed so your case can be resolved quickly and successfully. Your lawyer will set out to prove that the local council had a duty of care to keep up with safety regulations, maintenance and repairs. Be aware that no two public liability cases are the same, and the legalities can be quite complex. It’s essential to have an experienced and trusted lawyer to navigate the complexities of the case and win you the compensation you deserve. 

What to do if you get injured in a public place 

Here are 4 steps that will help set up your compensation claim for the best outcome. 

  1. Get a full doctor’s report. 
  2. Record details of the incident: Date, time, location, what was involved, photographs, who was there…and anything else you think is relevant.
  3. Report the injury to your local council as soon as possible
  4. Keep a record of every email, text and exchange you have with your local council so your lawyer can get up to speed. 

Preview in new tab

Taylor and Scott’s offer to you

At Taylor & Scott, we offer a free case assessment without any obligation, so it’s worth getting in contact at your earliest convenience. As compensation law experts we can advise you on whether you are eligible to make a public liability claim as well as the intricate details of your particular case.

Don’t live with the consequences of someone else’s negligence – contact us today.

At Taylor & Scott “We Care For You.”

How can we help?