FACTS OF SLIP AND FALL CLAIM
Our client who is retired, had accompanied his wife to the supermarket to do the weekly shopping. As he walked down an aisle, his feet flew out from under him causing him to fall backwards. In an effort to break his fall, he put out his arm causing a serious hyper extension injury to the arm. The accident was witnessed by other shoppers. Upon falling, our client realised that he had slipped on clear liquid which had been left on the floor.
THE NEGLIGENCE ALLEGED AGAINST THE SUPERMARKET IN THE PUBLIC LIABIITY CLAIM
It was alleged that the supermarket failed in its duty of care to our client in that:
- It failed to keep its aisles clean and free of liquids that may have fallen to the floor.
- It failed to have an adequate system of cleaning the aisles.
- It failed to warn our client of imminent danger.
ACTION TAKEN BY TAYLOR & SCOTT’S PUBLIC LIABILITY TEAM
Our client consulted Belinda Gamble, an Associate here at Taylor & Scott and a member of our public liability slip and fall legal team. Belinda offered a Free Case Assessment. Having accepted instructions from her client, she agreed to act on a no-win/no-pay basis. She commenced a claim alleging negligence and claiming damages in the District Court of NSW.
THE SLIP AND FALL DAMAGES CLAIM
Monetary compensation was sought for the following:
- Compensation for the serious arm injury which required an operation performed by an orthopaedic specialist.
- Compensation for the ongoing pain suffered by our client.
- Compensation for the restrictions he now suffered as a result of the fall e.g. he was no longer able to garden, he could not mow his lawns, he could not carry out household maintenance and he could not service his motor vehicle.
- Compensation for his ongoing medical and chemist expenses.
SUCCESS IN THE SLIP AND FALL CLAIM
Eventually the claim was listed for a mediation and Belinda was able to successfully negotiate a generous settlement of her client’s damages claim.
OUR OFFER TO YOU
If you or someone you know are injured in a slip and fall accident in a supermarket or other public place, such as a shopping mall or car park, contact our expert team of public liability insurance specialists. We offer a Free Case Assessment, a no-win/no-pay policy meaning if you don’t win, we don’t get paid.
Contact us on 1800 600 664 or complete the Contact Form on this page. Let our team help you to a better future.
At Taylor & Scott, We Care For You.