A fall is always startling, a little embarrassing and very distressing if you have hurt yourself badly. That’s one of the reasons we all have a legal responsibility to protect each other from foreseeable harm. It’s called a Duty of Care and it means individuals and organisations are obliged to provide a safe environment.
If you are injured in a fall and it was caused through negligence, you may be able to make a slip and fall claim. It’s also called a personal injury claim. This type of claim could cover things like:
- The cost of medical treatment
- Loss of income if you are unable to work for a period of time because of the injury
- Pain and suffering as a result of the fall
What do you do if you injure yourself as a result of a slip, trip or fall?
There are 3 things you need to do if you injure yourself and suspect it was caused through the negligence of another person or organisation:
- The most important thing to do is take care of yourself. If your injury is serious, don’t delay. Get immediate medical attention. But sometimes, we don’t realise the seriousness of our fall for a couple of hours or a few days. If that happens, still seek medical help as quickly as possible.
In either case, if you decide to make a personal injury compensation claim, you will need a medical report.
- As part of a potential slip and fall claim, you also need to provide evidence that demonstrates your fall was caused through negligence. You will find more information on the type of evidence to collect here.
- Inform the property owner or manager of the premises where you fell. If your fall occurred in a public place, such as a park, you need to advise the relevant local council. You can expect to be asked for information regarding what happened as well as your name, contact details and a description of the injuries you suffered.
Importantly, don’t talk about your fall on social media – especially if you are thinking about making a compensation claim for your fall. It will work against you in the long run.
Get good advice quickly
If you or someone close to you feels your slip and fall injury was caused by negligence, you owe it to yourself to obtain legal advice promptly.
At Taylor & Scott, our expert team of lawyers will provide a no-obligation, free assessment of your case. If you decide to file for compensation, we will help you investigate the cause of your accident and gather evidence to support your claim. Book your free, no obligation slip and fall compensation appointment here.
At Taylor & Scott We Care For You.