Can the insurer suspend or reduce payments of weekly compensation?
The insurer may suspend or reduce payments of weekly compensation if the worker fails to:
- provide a current certificate of capacity
- provide relevant documentation such as wage records, medical reports or statutory declarations that have been requested by the insurer
- attend medical appointments
- participate in a return to work program
- comply with return to work obligations.
The insurer may also seek to reduce payments by making a work capacity decision.
What is a work capacity decision?
A work capacity decision is a decision made by the insurer after they have assessed an injured workers capacity to work taking into account their injury, restrictions and vocational ability.
If the insurer decides a worker has capacity to work they will calculate what the workers ability to earn is and adjust payments of weekly compensation accordingly.