Many superannuation policies offer TPD insurance (also known as Total and Permanent Disability insurance). While policies differ, and some pay more than others, TPD claims provide a lump sum payout if you can prove your illness or injury is permanent and prevents you from working (for specific details on what your TPD policy covers, check the Product Disclosure Statement).
3 Common eligibility criteria
To make a successful claim against your super’s Total and Permanent Disability cover, you need to satisfy key criteria:
- Your level of disability
Your disability will be assessed on whether you are able to return to your prior occupation or any occupation for which you are suited by education, training or experience and whether any senses (e.g. sight, hearing) or limbs have been lost. Examples of injuries and illnesses that may be eligible for TPD claims (depending on your policy) include:
- Brain injuries
- Limb amputation or partial amputation
- Muscular dystrophy
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Any serious physical or psychological injury/medical condition
- Minimum work history requirements
To make a Total and Permanent Disability claim, you need to provide:
- A detailed work history pre and post injury
- Whether you worked full-time or part-time
How do you make a TPD claim?
Your super fund will request a significant amount of information to assess your TPD claim. Importantly, the success or failure of your claim will depend on the information you provide. That’s why we strongly recommend you obtain expert legal advice before submitting a claim.
Receiving assistance from the Taylor & Scott team will boost your chances of achieving a successful Total and Permanent Disability claim. In particular, we will help you by:
- Examining the TPD insurance policy and trust deed so we can ascertain what’s covered
- Gathering medical evidence to support your claim
- Correctly completing the TPD claim forms
- Negotiating with the super fund and/or their insurer
- Litigating your claim, but only as a last resort
- Keeping you fully informed every step of the way
At Taylor & Scott. We Care For You.