For those overseas students nearing the completion of their studies and considering settlement in Australia after graduation, Class VC Temporary Graduate (subclass 485) visa program has clearly become one of the must-do’s before contemplating other permanent visa options. This visa option can be grouped into two streams, namely graduate work stream and post-study work stream. You must nominate only one stream to which the application relates at the time of your application.
Main Common Criteria
- The applicant must be the holder of an eligible student visa or eligible Bridging visa at the time of application.
- The main applicant must be less than 50 years old at the time of application.
- The applicant has not previously held a graduate visa as a main applicant.
- The applicant has achieved competent English from a test conducted in the 3 years immediately before the lodgement or should be deemed to have competent English. (An IELTS score of at least 6 in each section or a score of at least B for each component of an OET or holder of UK, USA, Canada and Republic of Ireland passports).
- The applicant must have evidence of application made for an Australian Federal Police check (eg. Receipt number in the application form, a copy of the police check request or payment receipt for that check)
- The applicant must have made arrangements for a medical examination and must attach evidence.
- The applicant is covered by an appropriate health insurance policy in Australia. This requirement for health insurance is to be extended until the time of the decision.
Graduate Work Stream
This stream is designed for graduates with an Australian qualification and skills and qualifications that relate to a nominated occupation. This is suitable for graduates with degrees, diplomas and trade qualifications from a registered course.
- The applicant must make an application for this visa within 6 months after having satisfied the Australian study requirement (from the date on which the results of the final exams or notice of completion of the course were available or published).
- The course studied towards a degree, diploma or trade qualification must be closely related to the nominated skilled occupation on SOL as amended from time to time.
- The applicant must attach evidence that a skills assessment has been requested from a relevant assessing authority. (eg. An acknowledgment letter from a relevant assessing authority or reference number)
- At the time of decision, the applicant must have a favourable skills assessment from a relevant assessing authority.
This stream was introduced on 23 March 2013 in response to the Knight Review conducted in 2011 for the overhaul of the student visa program. This is to give graduates of Australian Bachelor, Masters and PhD courses access to a post-study work visa that will allow them to work in Australia for up to four years after they graduate regardless of their field of study. This is strictly restricted to persons whose first student visa was granted on or after 5 November 2011.
- The applicant must make an application for this visa within 6 months after having satisfied the Australian study requirement in a Bachelor course or higher (Bachelor, Bachelor with Honours, Masters by Coursework, Masters (extended), Masters by Research and Doctoral degree) from a single course or combination of several qualifications (from the date on which the results of the final exams or notice of completion of the course were available or published).
- Examples of eligible qualifications under the government’s policy include the following:
– three years of study at the Bachelor degree level resulting in completion of a Bachelor degree in Fine Arts
– two years of study in a Masters by Coursework course resulting in completion of a Masters in Computer Programming
– one year of study of a Graduate Diploma in Electrical Engineering from which the credits are granted towards a further year of study in a Masters by Research course, resulting in completion of a Master of Engineering qualification.
– one year of a Masters by coursework in Architecture followed by another year of Masters by research in Business Administration
What is the Australian study requirement?
This requirement is satisfied if you have completed one or more courses registered on the CRICOS and the course you have completed in the last 6 months satisfies the following:
- Award of a bachelor degree or any higher degree, diploma, advanced diploma or trade qualification.
- Closely related to your nominated occupation.
- Conducted in English.
- At least two academic years (92 weeks) duration.
- Lawfully completed in no less than 16 months.
- Completed in Australia.
What can Taylor & Scott provide to you?
After the introduction of Post-study work stream in March 2013, the bar has been certainly lowered for candidates for the Temporary Graduate (subclass 485) visa. This particular visa does not provide a pathway to permanent skilled migration, but this has proved to be an excellent opportunity for prospective applicants under skillselect visas or any other employer sponsored visas to gain more points or explore other alternative options ultimately to settle in Australia.
Accordingly, we are able to provide more affordable and accessible services and professional assistance and advice to assist you embarking on a new chapter in your life. Please call us to make an appointment. Your first consultation in assessing your prospects is free of charge.
At Taylor & Scott “ We Care For You.”