The Types Of Visas Australia You Should Know About

There are over 100 different Australian visas. Each visa option has its requirements and conditions, so it’s essential to research them thoroughly before applying.

Tourist Visa

A tourist visa is a type of visa that allows foreign nationals to enter Australia for a holiday. A tourist visa doesn’t let you work or do business while you’re there.

Depending on an individual’s nationality, they may be able to apply for an Electronic Travel Authority (ETA) or Visitor visa. For most countries, the online application takes three months to process and allows you to stay for up to 12 months.

Working Holiday Visa

Young people who want to live and work in Australia often choose the Working Holiday visa (subclass 417). People between 18 and 30 can stay in Australia for up to a year and work for any company.

Applicants must be between 18 and 30, have a valid passport from an eligible country, and meet health and character requirements.

The visa lets travellers enter and leave Australia as often as they need to.

Working Holiday Visas give you an extra 12 months if you work on a farm for 88 days (3 months) in certain places.

Student Visas

You’ll need to apply for a student visa to study in Australia. There are different types of student visas depending on how long your course is and where you come from.

For example, a Subclass 500 visa is for people who want to study a course that lasts longer than 10 weeks. This visa also lets students work up to 40 hours every two weeks while classes are in session and full-time during breaks.

People who want to take a course that lasts less than 10 weeks can get a subclass 590 visa. This visa does not permit work.

Before you apply, you’ll need to know what each type of visa needs from you. Some visas may have specific requirements for who can get them. Student visas are suitable for the whole time you study in Australia after you get them.

Temporary Work Visa

Australia offers a range of temporary work visas to enable people to work in the country on a temporary basis. Temporary Work Visas include:
Temporary Skill Shortage visa (subclass 482) – Sponsorship needed
Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485)
Skilled – Recognised Graduate visa (subclass 476)
Skilled Regional (Provisional) visa (subclass 489)
Business Innovation and Investment (Provisional) visa (subclass 188) – Sponsorship needed

Permanent Residency Visa

A Permanent Residency Visa is a visa that allows a person to remain in Australia indefinitely. This sort of visa frequently includes the ability to work and study in the country and access certain social security benefits.

There are several types of permanent residency visas available, including the Independent visa, Family visa, and Employer Nomination Scheme. Each type has its eligibility criteria that applicants must meet to apply.

Family & Partner Visas

There are numerous visa options available in Australia for family and partner migration. These include temporary and permanent visas for Australian citizens and permanent residents’ spouses, fiancés, children, parents, carers, and other family members.

This type of visa permits family members and partners to reside in Australia indefinitely if they meet the Department of Home Affairs’ conditions.

The visa application process for this sort of visa is stringent, requiring proof of a genuine relationship as well as other special eligibility conditions.

Refugee and Humanitarian Visas

Australia provides a variety of refugee and humanitarian visas to people fleeing persecution and violence. These visas are intended for those who have experienced or fear persecution in their home country and require resettlement.

These visas include protection visas, temporary safe haven visas, and family stream migration visas. Those granted these visas can stay in Australia indefinitely and have access to social security payments, Medicare, and Australian citizenship.


These are the most common visa types people need to live and work in Australia. If you are interested, then contact an immigration lawyer who can help you with your application.

At Taylor & Scott, we care for you.

How can we help?